Who doesn’t want a break from daily life on occasion, to escape to a beach somewhere, catching some sun and enjoying the calming sound of the waves? You might not be able to schedule a getaway anytime soon, but this coconut cake recipe from Vanuatu might be the next best thing!
- 4 cups fresh grated coconut (you could try dried coconut too, but the cake might not be as moist)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups cast sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 2 cups flour
- 8 eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Here’s how you make it:
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Let the butter soften. Then, in a bowl, mix the sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing them in well.
- Then mix the flour, baking powder, salt and grated coconut into the bowl.
- Butter and flour a 9-inch round or square baking pan and pour the mixture into it.
- Bake for 1-1 ½ hours until the top is golden brown.
- Once it’s cool, you can eat it!